Tattva NewsTattva News
  • Telegu states
  • Regional
  • National
  • International
  • Economy
  • Others
  • Special Stories
  • Opinion
Weather Report
Facebook Twitter Instagram
Trending
  • Dr Bhagwat slams regulatory rigidity in education
  • Indian EV market to touch Rs. 20 lakh crore by 2030
  • Pragjyotishpur LitFest ’24 concludes with a high note
  •  Former Haryana CM, INLD chief Om Prakash Chautala passes away
  • Parliament adjourns sine die amid protests by Opposition and treasury benches
  • Opposition notice for no-confidence against Dhankhar rajected
  • PM Modi lists out ‘sins’ of Congress towards Ambedkar
  • Globally a record number of journalists killed in 2024: India loses 4 scribes
Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest
Wednesday, February 18
Click for the latest Hyderabad weather forecast.
Telugu
Tattva NewsTattva News
  • Telegu states
  • Regional
  • National
  • International
  • Economy
  • Others
  • Special Stories
  • Opinion
Tattva NewsTattva News
Telugu
Home » UN hears details of harassment, intimidation following complaint about disappearances in Rwanda
International

UN hears details of harassment, intimidation following complaint about disappearances in Rwanda

Editor's Desk, Tattva NewsBy Editor's Desk, Tattva NewsSeptember 23, 2022Updated:September 23, 2022No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Australian human rights advocate Noël Yandamutso Zihabamwe and human rights barrister Jennifer Robinson of Doughty Street Chambers, London have today met with the United Nations Working Group on Enforced and Involuntary Disappearances (WGEID) in Geneva, Switzerland to detail ongoing harassment from the Rwandan Government following Mr Zihabamwe’s complaint to the UN about the disappearance of his brothers.

“I greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak to the Working Group today to detail the harassment and intimidation I’ve experience from the Rwandan Government, its representatives, and the Rwandan media since filing my original complaint to the United Nations,” Mr Zihabamwe said.

Mr Zihabamwe previously addressed a session of the Working Group in February 2022 to provide an update on the abduction of his brothers, Jean Nsengimana and Antoine Zihabamwe, in Rwanda in 2019. Mr Zihabamwe also urged the Working Group to take further action in respect of the systemic problem of enforced disappearances in Rwanda. 

“Since my complaint was submitted to the Working Group, more than 200 families have contacted me in relation to their own family and friends who have been harassed or have disappeared in Rwanda,” he said.

“My missing brothers’ friends and relatives in Rwanda have also experienced intimidation by Rwandan government officials since I engaged the UN and there has been an ongoing smear campaign by Rwandan media organisations in an attempt to discredit my allegations.” 

Following his original complaint, Mr Zihabamwe has established a new organisation dedicated to documenting cases of enforced disappearances and to facilitating access for victims in Rwanda to the UN mechanisms.

“We welcome the Working Group’s action in response to our complaint and their engagement with us here in Geneva. Noel has shown courage in bringing his complaint to the UN and should be recognised and celebrated for turning his tragic experience into positive action for all victims of enforced disappearances in Rwanda,” Ms Robinson said.

Before the Working Group, Ms Robinson raised concerns with the Government of Rwanda’s responses to the UN communication.  “The government’s answers to our UN communication lack credibility and show complete disregard for Rwanda’s obligations under international law,” she said. Ms Robinson also detailed her concerns about the reprisals that Mr Zihabamwe and others have faced since making the UN complaint. 

“The proper functioning of the UN human rights system requires that those making complaints do not face reprisals or threats for providing information to the UN. The intimidation and reprisals against Noël and his family in Rwanda for engaging with the UN are prohibited and amount to an attack on the integrity of the UN system.”

Over the past year, the Australian Human Rights Institute has been campaigning to draw attention to the issue of enforced and involuntary disappearances in Rwanda. In 2021, it worked alongside Ms Robinson and Australian law firm Corrs Chambers Westgarth to assist Mr Zihabamwe with filing his initial UN complaint.

“The UN has made clear that addressing and preventing acts of intimidation and reprisals against individuals and groups seeking to cooperate with, inform and complain to the UN on human rights issues is a matter of vital importance, and such acts raise grave concerns,” Director of the Australian Human Rights Institute, Professor Justine Nolan, said.

“We continue to call for the UN to intervene with Rwanda to assist us to locate Jean and Antoine so that Noël and his family can know the truth.”

disappearances Rawanda WGEID Zihabamwe
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Editor's Desk, Tattva News

Related Posts

CPJ calls on new Syrian leaders to protect journalist safety

December 15, 2024

PEC deplored 12th media persons killed in Pakistan

December 13, 2024

Cambodian journalist died with bullet injuries, PEC demands justice

December 11, 2024

CPJ condemns police brutality against journalists covering Georgian protests

December 10, 2024

Asia Democracy Network slams Escalating Crackdown on Protests in Pakistan

December 3, 2024

11th journalist killed in Pakistan, PEC expresses concern

November 24, 2024

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

FOLLOW US
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn
REGIONAL

‘Samatar Chandere Jivanar Joigaan’ to pay homage to Ambedkar

December 6, 2024

PPFA offers thanks to Delhi, Dispur for classical recognition to Asomiya

October 12, 2024

Yogi slams Congress prince heading to become anti-India separatist group leader

September 12, 2024

Rajasthan CM  gets threat call from Dausa jail

July 29, 2024
NATIONAL

Dr Bhagwat slams regulatory rigidity in education

December 21, 2024

 Former Haryana CM, INLD chief Om Prakash Chautala passes away

December 20, 2024

Parliament adjourns sine die amid protests by Opposition and treasury benches

December 20, 2024

Opposition notice for no-confidence against Dhankhar rajected

December 20, 2024
Tattva News
Facebook Twitter Instagram Pinterest LinkedIn
  • Telegu State
  • Regional
  • National
  • International
  • Economy
  • Others
  • Special Stories
  • Opinion
  • Contact Us
© 2026 Tattva Talks Designed by Dhanush Infotech .

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.