In worst ever carnage in recent memory of West Bengal and the first first such massacre after Mamata Banarjee-led Trinamul Congress assumed power in 2011, causing big embarrassment to her, the charred bodies of at least eight persons were found in two houses at Bogtui village on the outskirts of Birbhum’s Rampurhat.
Allegedly a fallout-out of the ruling party’s internal faction conflicts, they were said to be burnt alive in retaliation to the killing of Bhadu Sheikh, a Trinamul leader, on Monday night. The victims include a child and six women, aged between seven and 52, and a newly married couple. Seven of the victims were related to one another.
“Eight people were killed in the incident. Seven bodies were recovered from a single house.… One among the three injured died in hospital,” director-general of police Manoj Malaviya said. Located around 220km from Calcutta, Bogtui is a village with over 2,000 people. However, the police ruling out any political connections to the incident and stating as a mere `personal grudges’.
Chief minister Mamata Banerjee, in a letter to governor Jagdeep Dhankhar, referred to a larger plan to malign Bengal. Government sources cited prompt action, such as the formation of a special investigation team and proceedings against some policemen, to insist that law was taking its course.
Mamata asks Governor to refrain from “unwarranted statements”
She asked Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar to refrain from making “unwarranted statements”. The strong reaction from the chief minister came hours after Governor Jagdeep Dhankhar hit out at the state administration over the Birbhum incident, which he described as “horrifying violence and arson orgy”.
Governor said in a tweet, “Horrifying violence and arson orgy in Rampurhat, Birbhum indicates (the) state is in grip of violence culture and lawlessness. Already eight lives lost. Have sought urgent update on the incident from (the) Chief Secretary. My thoughts are with the families of the bereaved.”
“I have emphasised on several occasions that we cannot allow the state to be synonymous with violence culture and lawlessness,” Dhankhar said in a short video message.
In a letter to the Governor, Banerjee wrote, “It pains me that you have chosen an unfortunate incident which occurred in Rampurhat on 21.03.2022 that resulted in loss of precious lives, to pass sweeping and uncalled for comments on the law-and-order situation in the state. The state government is saddened at the loss of lives and has taken immediate steps not only to take action against the local police officers posted in the sub-division but has also formed an SIT to investigate the cause of the incident. 10 persons have so far been arrested.”
The dead have been identified as Jahanara Bibi (Doli), 38; Lili Khatun, 18; Sheli Bibi, 32; Nurnehar Bibi, 52; Rupali Bibi, 39; Kazi Sajidur Rahaman, 22; Tuli Khatun, 7; and Mina Bibi, 40. The first seven were relatives and their bodies were found in the one-storey house of Sona Sheikh. Kazi Sajidur and Lili Khatun were the newly weds.
However, accusing that Mamata government failing in maintaining law and order in the state, which is leading to a serious of political murders, the opposition demanded imposition of President’s rule in the state. A BJP delegation met the Government in this regard and also sought Union Home Minister Amti Shah’s intervention.
DGP Malaviya told a news conference that the killings did not seem to have any political connection. This comment of Malaviya, even before the SIT has begun its probe, drew sharp criticism from the Opposition parties. “We all know about the role of the police in such illegal trade that is controlled by local Trinamul goons,” said BJP state president Sukanta Majumdar, who sought compensation for the victims.
A section of police officers did not rule out the possibility of the victims being hacked to death and then set on fire. Birbhum SP Nagendra Nath Tripathi said that 11 persons had been arrested in connection with the incident while raids were on for other suspects.
Some eyewitnesses and relatives of the victims said around 100 bike-borne attackers entered Bogtui around 9.30pm on Monday, within half an hour of Bhadu’s death, and ran riot for several hours, killing people and setting houses on fire. Although the ruling establishment sent senior police officers and ministers to the village to pacify the residents, the situation remained fraught through the evening.
The tremors of the Rampurhat massacre were felt in Calcutta with Opposition MLAs trying to raise the issue in the Assembly and seeking the resignation of the chief minister. Although their demand for a discussion on the carnage wasn’t allowed, the ruling party was clearly on the back foot.
Two separate public interest litigation petitions have been filed in Calcutta High Court, seeking its intervention. Advocate Smarajit Roy Chowdhury mentioned the matter before a division bench headed by Chief Justice Prakash Shrivastava, seeking approval to move his PIL and saying the state-appointed SIT would not be able to carry out an impartial inquiry.
In the second half, advocate Phiroze Edulji mentioned the issue before the same bench and sought permission for moving his PIL. Edulji demanded a probe by the National Investigation Agency or the CBI to find out the truth. The chief justice asked both petitioners to file cases in the appropriate department. The court will later decide its course of action.


